You are here
The Fondation pour la culture et les civilisations du vin
Wine, a cultural, universal and living heritage
At the heart of human life for centuries, vine and wine have shaped our land, imbued our traditions, influenced our social practices and invaded our imaginations. Wine is a universal language that transcends borders, centuries and beliefs.
A symbol of welcome and sharing, a source of conviviality and pleasure, wine has inspired culinary art in ancient and contemporary civilisations. It forms an integral part of French gastronomic dinners, and in 2010 was recognised by UNESCO as part of humanity’s intangible heritage.
Wine has shaped the landscapes, lifestyle, knowledge and even identity of the French people.
However, wine is not restricted to this social practice.
Imbued with values, knowledge and civilisations, it reaches far beyond the context of gastronomic cuisine. In particular, wine has shaped the landscapes, lifestyle, knowledge and even identity of the French people. In recognition of its very special impact, France has officially included wine in its cultural, gastronomic and scenic heritage by publishing Law no. 2014-1170 of 13 October 2014 on the future of farming, food and the forest.
Defend, protect, highlight and pass on this priceless heritage
The Fondation pour la Culture et les Civilisations du Vin was created to protect, promote and share the countless cultural, historic and symbolic aspects of wine.
Its aim is to defend, highlight and pass on the cultural and intellectual dimension of wine. The Fondation is attempting to make this universal, living heritage accessible to as many people as possible by offering an innovative new perspective.
They are also striving to protect wine’s heritage and to demonstrate and highlight its impact on societies past and present. In addition, the Fondation is responsible for dialogue with the artistic and scientific communities with a view to establishing and maintaining links between wine and culture.
Defend, highlight and pass on the cultural and intellectual dimension of wine
To nurture its global vision and direct its activities, the Fondation also draws on the knowledge, expertise and experience of individuals from various backgrounds who are all interested in ongoing exchange between wine and humans: the Cultural Steering Committee.
Based on these key tasks, the Fondation pour la Culture et les Civilisations du Vin was named a public interest organisation on 11 December 2014.
La Fondation & La Cité du Vin
The City of Bordeaux, the project master and owner of the La Cité du Vin building, has placed this facility in the hands of the Fondation pour la Culture et les Civilisations du Vin for a period of 12 years (until 2028) to carry out its task. The Fondation is thus responsible for operating and developing the world’s first cultural facility devoted to exploring the aspects of wine’s heritage.
The Fondation’s cultural, educational and scientific activities and projects have three major focuses, in particular through the spaces of La Cité du Vin.
Recognising wine’s cultural and heritage dimension
- Producing key temporary exhibitions aimed at the general public of La Cité du Vin in Bordeaux and its partner institutions in France and abroad
- Creating a reference document library containing books, films and other multimedia materials to provide everyone with access to a wide range of knowledge
- Organising meetings, public interventions, debates and publications to raise awareness of wine’s heritage dimensions among elected representatives, professionals and the general public
Highlighting and disseminating all of this knowledge
- Creating and co-editing editorial projects and websites exploring the different cultural facets of wine, in particular to accompany exhibitions or conferences organised at La Cité du Vin
- Organising study days, symposiums and conferences to promote the flow of knowledge between experts and the general public
- Supporting festivals and events
Supporting research and creation relating to wine culture and civilisations
- Awarding study or creative grants to young researchers, students, artists or artisans
- Commissioning sculptural, design or performance art showcases
La Fondation pour la Culture et les Civilisations du Vin operates thanks to the income from La Cité du Vin, but undertakes all of its cultural activities via fundraising and a vast patronage programme.
Are you a company or individual in France or abroad interested in supporting the Fondation pour la Culture et des Civilisations du Vin? Make a donation and become one of our patrons!