You are here
Château d’Armailhac’s commitment to the Cité du Vin, agreed previously by the Baroness Philippine de Rothschild (1933-2014), who was enamoured of art and culture, expresses a conviction intimately shared by the current owners: that the art of wine also deserves a centre of its own in our cultural heritage and that Bordeaux is undoubtedly its world capital.
Château d’Armailhac in Pauillac, a Grand Cru Classé of 1855 was bought in 1933 by Baron Philippe de Rothschild (1902-1988). With the southern part of its terroir running alongside Château Mouton Rothschild, it used to be called Mouton d’Armailhacq, the name of the family which owned it for two centuries. Between 1956 and 1989 it was successively named Château Mouton Baron Philippe then Mouton Baronne Philippe, until Baroness Philippine reunited it with its original identity.
The vineyard at Château d’Armailhac is planted with typical grape varieties for the region: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot. Matured in oak barrels, it combines finesse and elegance with the power of a great Pauillac. Its label, decorated with a figurine representing Autumn, celebrates the ripening of the grapes and their transformation into wine. This precious miniature in spun glass dates from the second half of the 17th century and can be found in Mouton’s Museum of Wine in Art.
Today, Camille Sereys de Rothschild, Philippe Sereys de Rothschild, and Julien de Beaumarchais de Rothschild, Baroness Philippine’s three children, incarnate family continuity.