You are here
Groupe Edmond de Rothschild
As patrons of La Cité du Vin, the Edmond de Rothschild Group and its shareholders, Benjamin and Ariane de Rothschild, confirm their commitment to and passion for wine-growing, its terroirs and the people involved in it.
The tradition of wine in the French branch of the Rothschild family started in 1868 with the purchase of Château Lafite by James de Rothschild. Baron Edmond de Rothschild – the great-grandson of James de Rothschild – then extended this family history with the acquisition in 1973 of Château Clarke and Château Malmaison, before founding the “Compagnie Vinicole Baron Edmond de Rothschild”.
Since then, his son Benjamin with his wife Ariane have continued to expand into new terroirs: in South Africa (“Rupert & Rothschild Vignerons” wine cellar), Argentina (“Flechas de los Andes”), New Zealand (“Rimapere”), Bordeaux where they acquired Château des Laurets, and more recently in Rioja in Spain (“Bodegas Benjamin de Rothschild & Vega Sicilia”).
Their banking arm, the Edmond de Rothschild Group, specialises in asset management and private banking. An independent, family-owned group, it has 134 billion euros under management, 2,800 employees and 31 offices worldwide.
In Bordeaux the Edmond de Rothschild bank has an office in Cours du Chapeau Rouge, offering private banking and consultancy services to entrepreneurs.